Are you looking for some garage storage ideas? The original idea of having a garage was for the purpose of parking a vehicle out the harsh weather. Nowadays the garage not only is used to park the family vehicle, but for storing stuff. Many garages have become storage sheds and a place to work in, so having some garage storage ideas to help maximize the space is really handy.
In this article I’m going to looking at some garage storage ideas to get the most out of the storage available in your garage. Here’s what I’m looking at: “Garage Storage Systems”,“Garage Cabinets”, “Garage Rack Systems”and “DIY Garage Storage Ideas“.
Wall and Overhead Garage Storage Systems
1] Wall Garage Storage Systems… When it comes to good garage storage ideas the wall systems are the most popular. And depending on your garages layout and your particular storage needs a combination of shelving and wall mounted storage may be the answer you’re looking for. I really love open shelving that’s attached to the wall. It gives your several shelves and you’ll be able to see what’s there for quick access.
I’m going to recommend the “Topeakmart 5 Tier Heavy Duty Shelving Unit” because of its robust construction and can be bought in single units and combined to create lots of storage solutions.
– Strong metal construction made from galvanized steel and the center supporting beam makes the shelving much stronger and each shelve can hold 386 pounds when the weight is spread out.
– Racks and shelving can be adjusted to allow for different height of objects.
– Space saving while providing excellent horizontal storage options.
– Can be used not only as shelving, but can be set-up to make a workbench if needed.
– No nuts and bolts are needed for assembly; all you’ll need is a pair of work gloves and a rubber mallet.
The “Topeakmart 5 Tier Heavy Duty Shelving Unit” has 118 user ratings and 32 answered questions. You can get all the information and read the ratings here on Amazon.
For storing smaller items, shovels, rakes and other garden tools that can be hung you can use basic hooks as great organizers. One of my favorite is using peg board and hooks which allow for easy placement of items so their out of the way and still easy to access.
Overhead Garage Storage Systems… To get the most out of your available storage space, that space overhead that gives you the needed storage without using up floor space. This lets you relocate that ugly mess on the floor out of view. There are different garage storage ideas and systems that attach to your garages ceiling that let you store those items that are seasonal while still being accessible.
Using overhead storage simplifies your storage needs, some use pulleys for storing the heavier bulkier items up out of the way. Let’s take a look at the “FLEXIMOUNTS Heavy Duty Overhead Garage Storage Rack”.
– Comes in 2 handy sizes: 4’x6’ and 4’x8’.
– Grid design for fast and easy installation.
– Comes with an easy to follow template for simple layout.
– Constructed out of 14 gauge heavy duty steel and can support 450 pounds.
– Comes with super strong mounting hardware and screws.
– Is shipped in one container.
– The cold rolled metal will provide years of use.
– Different sizes available from Fleximounts of 3’x8’ and 3’x6’.
– Can be installed on concrete ceilings and wood normal garage ceilings.
– Height adjustable for 22 inches to 40 inches and will fit any joist spacing.
– Material is finished in a very durable Powder-coat finish.
If you’re looking for a quick and easy garage storage idea, then the “FLEXIMOUNTS Heavy Duty Overhead Garage Storage Rack” is right for you. Has 68 user ratings and 11 answered questions. Check it out yourself here on Amazon.
Knowing what your garage storage needs can really help with choosing the best overhead storage system for your needs. Using one or more overhead storage solutions can transform your messy unusable garage into an organized usable space. There are lots of overhead storage racks available, you can check out Amazon’s full line here.
Garage Storage Cabinets
We all hang onto different things over time and most of that stuff is stored in the garage and can clutter the garage up. In addition to wall and overhead garage storage options are garage storage cabinets.
There are a few cabinets’ types to consider… Wall mounted, stand alone, whole wall cabinets. Each type offers a particular type of storage depending on what you need in your garage.
– Wall Mounted Cabinets… These types allow you to mount them on the wall at the right height to reach your items and at the same time allow for the floor and wall space below to be used for storage or adding a work bench. Let’s take a look at the “Gladiator Wall GearBox Steel Cabinet”.
– Build-in area to put your electronic devices for charging or storing them.
– This unit provides both cabinets and shelving storage options and its steel construction provides a secure storage spot.
– Heavy steel construction and powder coated surfaces won’t corrode over time.
– Robust magnetic latch keeps doors closed securely.
– Easy and simple to install.
The gladiator combination wall cabinet can hold up to 150 pounds and the shelf can hold 40 pounds and works great for storing expensive delicate items. It has 65 user ratings and 24 answered questions. You can check out the reviews and ratings here on Amazon.
– Stand Alone Cabinets… The standalone storage cabinet offers mobility and can be set-up anywhere you need it to be. I like to attach these cabinets with a couple of screws just so I don’t have to worry about it falling over when using it.
Let’s take a look at the “Fedmax Steel Storage Cabinet” which comes in three color choices… Black, white and grey. Provides safe secure storage in very durable steel construction.
– Handles made out of steel.
– Durable matte finish.
– 4 adjustable shelves that can hold up to 180 pounds on each shelf.
– Locking doors and 2 keys are included.
– Leg levelers.
– Awesome warranty. 30 day returns and a 4 year warranty.
The “Fedmax Steel Storage Cabinet” is approx. 70 inches tall, 31 ½ inches wide and 15 ¾ inches deep which is lots of room. It also has 79 user ratings and 39 answered questions. Definitely a well-made secure stand-alone cabinet, see it for yourself here on Amazon.
– Whole Wall Storage Cabinets… Having a whole wall storage cabinet is an investment and can be customized into the configuration that best suits your needs. If you’re looking for a whole cabinet with a built-in work bench then the “Goplus 9 Piece Garage Storage Cabinet Set” may be the solution to your garage storage problems.
– Lots of storage space, 2 lockers, 3 full height wall cabinets, 1 base cabinet, 2 cabinets with drawers and doors and a workbench.
– All of the cabinets are lockable giving you piece of mind knowing your tools are secured.
– Constructed out of high-grade cold rolled steel which is going to provide you with years of service without having to worry about damage.
– All cabinets have adjustable feet so you can compensate for an uneven garage floor.
– Can be set-up for free-standing or can be mounted to the wall. I recommend you mount it to the wall to increase security and stability of the cabinets.
– Easy to operate door handles.
– All drawers have ball bearing slides for ease of operation.
– Very easy to assemble and keep clean, abrasive resistant.
– Can be configured to suit your needs and changed as your needs change.
– Lockers are 30” wide x 18” deep x 77“ tall.
– 2 door base cabinet is 24” wide x 16” deep x 33” tall.
– 2- 2 door/drawer cabinets are 24” wide x 16” deep x 33” tall.
– 3- upper cabinets 24” wide x 16” deep x 16” tall.
– Counter-top is 71” x 71” by 1” thick.
Why should you choose the “Goplus 9 Piece Garage Storage Cabinet Set”?
– Lots of storage space for all your things.
– Fully adjustable shelves so all your items can fit.
– Drawers operate easily even when full.
– Cabinets bolt together for making the unit sturdy and strong.
I have added a video of the cabinet so you can see all the features for yourself.
Garage Rack Systems
When you think of garage rack systems I’m thinking about overhead racks that are installed to the ceiling to provide additional garage storage in the space that’s usually empty. There are many other types of wall rack systems as well. Before going out and buying an overhead rack storage system I have a short guide to make sure you get the correct system.
– Location… Take the time to determine where you’re going to be putting the overhead rack system.
– Size… How big is the rack system? How far down will it hang from the ceiling, this is important especially if you’re going to be putting it in the space above the garage door. If you only have an 8 foot ceiling height than you won’t want to put the rack system over the garage door space. If your garage ceiling is 10 feet or higher than putting a storage system above the overhead door may work.
– Secure Mounting… Find out which way the ceiling joists or trusses are running in the garage ceiling, you’re going to need to attach the overhead rack system to solid framing. That’s attaching directly to the joists or trusses or you will need to strap the joist with 2x4s to have some solid place to attach your storage rack to.
– Make a Plan… Take some pictures of your garage layout and draw up a simple plan showing where the rack system is going to go and include the overhead door location, lights and any objects that may interfere with the installation of the storage system.
– Safety… Make sure you only store items that will fit and not be easily knocked down. If you have no choice but to install the system above the garage door, make sure you raise the door to measure how much clearance you’ll have from the bottom of the rack to the actual door as it travels up and down.
You’ll also want to consider how you’re going to access the storage space safety. I’m going to recommend the “FLEXIMOUNTS 4×8 Overhead Garage Storage Rack” because it has the best grid design which means easier to install than any of its competitors, let’s look at the features:
– Comes in one box and ready to assemble and install.
– Made from 14 gauge cold-rolled steel.
– Has a capacity of 600 pounds.
– Adjustable drop down from 22 inches up to 44 inches giving you 105 cubic feet of storage.
– It’s 8 feet long by 4 feet wide.
– Comes with 4 flat hooks and 2 utility hooks.
The “FLEXIMOUNTS 4×8 Overhead Garage Storage Rack” has 154 user ratings and 42 answered questions. Users have given it a 4.6/5 rating and it’s also an Amazons choice. Is available in black or white, you can check it out here on Amazon.
There are a large variety of overhead garage storage racks to choose from for holding ladders to hanging up your fishing rods. You can see Amazons full line of overhead racks here.
DIY Garage Storage Shelve Idea
There are many garage storage ideas that you can do yourself, the perk of doing it yourself is naturally saving money. The other perk is you can customize them to suit your storage needs.
Building garage storage shelving, it’s so fast to build, very easy and all it will cost you is the materials.
How to Build Garage Shelving
– 6 – 2x4s the length of the desired shelving, this will depend on how much room you have and how many shelving units you’re going to build.
– 3 – 2x4s for the outside vertical supports.
– 9 – 2×4 spacers, these will be cut to make the desired width of the shelving unit.
– 1/2” plywood, cut down to fit inside the 2×4 frame to make the shelves.
– 3” deck screws, and 3 ½” deck screws, use the 3 ½” screws for attaching the inside 2x4s to the wall.
– 1 5/8” deck screws for attaching the plywood shelves to the 2×4 framing pieces.
– Tape measure and pencil.
– Level and square.
– Skill saw and cordless drill [impact driver if you have one].
Building the Garage Storage Shelves
– Step 1] Begin by marking out where the studs are on the wall.
– Step 2] Determine the height of the shelving unit and the spacing for the shelving, you may need extra 2x4s if your shelving is spaced closer together.
– Step 3] Attach the top 2×4 to the wall using the 3 1/2 “ deck screws and using your level to make sure the 2×4 is level.
– Step 4] Attach the other 2x4s to the wall measuring down from the top one that you have installed level.
Make sure the 2x4s don’t line up with any light switches or plug outlets.
– Step 5] Now using the other 2x4s attach them to the 2x4s on the wall using the 3 ½ inch deck screws and LEAVE the screws sticking out, you’ll be removing these screws after the vertical 2x4s have been installed.
– Step 6] Cut the 2×4 legs to the height of the shelving and attach them to the second set of 2x4s using 2 – 3” screws into each horizontal 2×4. You may need to add an extra 2×4 leg if your unit is longer.
– Step 7] Remove the screws that you put in the second row of 2x4s and move outside 2x4s and attached legs aside for now.
– Step 8] Attach the 2×4 cleats to the 2x4s that are attached to the wall. These would have be cut to fit the width of your shelving unit. Use 3 or 4 cleats on each row of vertical 2x4s.
– Step 9] Now move the other 2x4s with legs attached and screw into the cleats.
– Step 10] Cut the ½” plywood shelves to width and attach the 2 the 2×4 frame using the 1 5/8” deck screws. You’re done!
I have a video that shows you how to build this cool shelving unit!
I’ve only looked at a few garage storage ideas, there are 100’s more. Before buying be sure to look closely at the space you have in your garage and what type of storage will best suit your needs. Careful planning will avoid problems later, you don’t want to go thru all the trouble of adding storage to your garage only to find out you can’t open the car door when you park it inside. Thanks for reading and give the article a share.